First of all, I'd like to render my sincere apologies to all the medical practitioners if my words offend 'you'. I had lived with the believe that my blood group is B+ having done medical tests at undergraduate level & pre-marital tests showing same B+.

Just last week I needed to renew my Fit for Duty (Work) medical and discovered the result showed that my blood group was O+. I enquired to know why this change from what I had always known. Upon my query, I was referred to lab to do a confirmatory test. To my amazement, I was given a report A+. At that point, I became worried. I questioned the result and called the doctor who referred me there. The lab scientist went back to the lab and came back with a different result of O+, saying it was mistakenly read up-side-down.

I read this as an implication assuming a wrong blood group transfusion is carried out on an individual. "If incompatible blood is given in a transfusion, the donor cells are treated as if they were foreign invaders, and the patient's immune system attacks them accordingly. Not only is the blood transfusion rendered useless, but a potentially massive activation of the immune system and clotting system can cause shock, kidney failure, circulatory collapse, and death."

Back to my story, I made up my mind to have two others tests for this confirmation; The next gave me a report AB+. As usual, I questioned the report and like the former, the lab scientist also went back to the lab and another result was issued; O+.

At this point, I imagined how many innocent souls had died from the errors of our medical practitioners. I remember vividly how my cousin new born babe (barely 2 weeks old) who had already recovered from the illness waiting for discharge note died instantly after a doctor injected him (Only God knows what error he made there).

Again I decided to try two more labs for this confirmation and both showed same results. This time I met a man in the last lab that gave me hope and trust in the profession.  In less than five minutes, he came out with a report O+. I asked how sure he was and narrated my ordeal in the last few days. He almost cried that some have refused to take care/caution in handling such delicate life matters. To assure me, he took me in and carried out same test in my very before with my blood and that of some other person having explained how the possible reactions that are to happen. Still, mine O+ and the other person A+.

I think COMPLACENCY is the word to describe the errors that people make in matters like this. That you have been doing it for twenty years does not exclude the fact that you MUST take the necessary precautionary measures in doing it again.

Be inspired to do more. Stay safe and blessed.

I now know my real blood group. 
Labels:

Post a Comment


Get paid to share your links!

Author Name

Wikipedia

Search results

Image 5 Title

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

Theme images by centauria. Powered by Blogger.